Saturday, March 21, 2020

Pets and COVID-19 - An Appeal

For those who know me, I was the guardian to a Maine Coon cat named "Sherlock." I named him for his investigative mind, and, indeed, he was a great detective. I adopted Sherlock from the Marin Humane Society. We were constant companions until he died on December 30, 2019 under hospice care. 


Mama Cat and Me
During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people are experiencing financial crisis and, as the crisis deepens, pets may suffer, too. From lack of food, from loss of their home, from lack of veterinary care.

For pet food pantries, click here and also see the right side of this blog and look for "Animals have rights, too!"

On March 16, 2020, I was working in San Francisco when the sheltering-at-home order took place. By 5:30 p.m., San Francisco was nearly devoid of foot or car traffic. I left my work-space at 6:30 p.m. and walked to the Transbay terminal. I saw an unsheltered woman sleeping on the corner of Montgomery and Pine. Her part-boxer dog was curled up next to her. They were both sleeping and all I could see of the woman was her long hair visible from under a heavy, fiber-fill coat. There was food around her (offerings from passerbys?) I walked across the corner to Peets to get her some hot coffee and food and water for her dog but Peets was closed. In fact, all restaurants, juice bars, and coffee houses were closed. I will never forget this woman and I wonder; will she live? Will she outlive this pandemic? And, her dog, what about her dog?

The Humane Society has developed a resource guide for pet guardians and the COVID-19 pandemic. Please offer assistance to animal shelters and rescue groups and, if you can foster a pet while their guardian is unable to care for their pet, please consider that, too.

I emailed one of my friends a photo of a cat that I recently privately adopted from a daughter whose whose mother passed away in January. The cat's name is "Grady." He's also a Maine Coon.

My friend replied, "Awww, I wish I had a pet, particularly now." His statement brought home the fact that I am surrounded by the love and companionship of two "senior" cats while my friend is isolated while sheltered in his home. 

Fostering a pet is a short-term commitment that can help both the guardian and the pet. "Social distancing" is required but unnatural. All sentient beings need compassion and care.

No comments:

Post a Comment